Why? Let me give you a few reasons:
- you have to pay to park...practically everywhere. Sometimes it's reasonable, but usually I feel like it's a rip-off
- there are so many regulations, like "No Parking Between 4 PM - 7 PM" and "8AM - 6 PM 1 Hour Parking Only"...1 hour is not enough time for a lot of things
- spaces are small/tight...if you ever go to any LA strip mall, you will see
- it is crowded....go to the Century City Mall on a Saturday afternoon...you will probably be circling for at least 10-15 min...I have done this many a times.
- your car will probably get hit/dinged...it has happened to me many times...just take a look at my rear bumper...it really makes me MAD.
When I moved back to LA for my current job, I didn't know how to parallel park - so when apartment hunting, it was imperative that I find a place to live with a spot. Luckily for about two years, I did have my own parking spot, which gave me the freedom to come and go as I please.
Now that my current living situation requires me to park on the street, I find myself stressing out on a daily basis. Why? Because I have to find parking. If you ever visit LA, go down any neighborhood (unless you're in Beverly Hills, or an area with houses), the streets are ALWAYS full of cars. If you leave your spot, and circle back in a few minutes, I bet it will be gone.
It is like a horrible game of "Where's Waldo?" except in this case, it's "Where Is a Parking Space That Is Big Enough for My Car and Hopefully Not Too Far Away from My Apartment?"
In addition to fighting other people, I am also fighting parking enforcement...I HATE street cleaning days...it makes it even worse to find a spot (and sadly it is very hard for me to be out the door by 8 AM, so to avoid getting a ticket, I always make sure to find a spot on the opposite side...sometimes days in advance (since street cleaning days are Mondays and Tuesdays).
If you can't tell, I am kind of annoyed about parking. Just before I got in, I was circling for a spot. I saw a Tuesday street cleaning spot (which is good for weekends/Monday), except this fool took up two spots!
That sidewalk space is enough for two cars.
So I circled around and found another spot, but this time on a more narrow street. I turn on my turn signal, and then this BEEZY starts honking at me from behind, forcing me to move, as there is a car on the opposite side (essentially blocking the street). And then his/her passenger had the audacity to stare me down as they passed by, while I had went out of my way to move for them. I'm sorry, but this is a residential area, where people usually park. SO WAIT YOUR TURN.
So yes, parking sucks.
Here is another reason why:
I call this "car sandwich." The jerks in the front AND back blocked me in (and I had parked there the night before, before those two cars were even there...I had parked behind a different car)...this space is big enough for only 2 cars (technically 2.5 cars). Who are these jerks that don't have any common courtesy???