Friday, May 13, 2016

How to Get Over Embarrassment?

This is actually not a post about how to get over embarrassment; rather I am asking that question to get an answer for myself!

Without going into too much detail, today I put myself in an embarrassing situation that made me look stupid. Not just foolish, but lacking any intelligence - I couldn't answer an easy question. The other party was very nice about it, but I was so mortified by my lack of response, it is still bothering me 8 hours later.

I guess I need to figure out why I am bothered by this situation: it makes me look stupid, when I do not feel like I am a stupid person.

I do have to say I think that we are our own harshest critics, so I am probably blowing this out of proportion. But while I am probably just an insignificant moment in that person's life, there is a small part of me that is worried that I may be one of those memories that stays with that person. Think about an embarrassing story you remember about another person - what if I am that story for that person? Like, "wow,  people are so stupid these days. This one girl couldn't even answer an easy question!"

Even if that is the case, I guess I shouldn't let it get to me - it already happened, I can't change it, and I just have to use common sense (and take a moment to actually think!) and not let it happen again. Because I am a person with a brain!

No comments: